It happens to all
when going for a drive
we get distracted by marketing
Meant to make businesses thrive
They are seen when our eyes wander
when we are not looking ahead
They try to sell us goods
expecting us to believe what we just read.
Some are for public service
warning us to stay on track
to keep our lives together
giving us information we may lack
Others may be rather crude
selling things we dare not buy
for fear of a tarnished reputation
with messages so sly
I am interested in a message of hope
one that will take away my pain
not another gadget
to flush my money down the drain
There was one billboard I heard about
displayed back in ancient times
One that advertised love
through a man paying for his crimes
The odd thing about this ad
was he didn’t do anything wrong
But this marketing piece
seemed to sing a different song
The one on display was called a fake
for the whole world to see
shown on the side of the road
I still can’t help but think
there was something good about this guy
The one they called Jesus
With compassion in His eye
I hear he came for joy
and to set the captive free
a billboard painted in blood
a marketing piece meant for me.
In earlier blog posts, I have written about different organizations that have caught my attention in some way. These organizations have proved to be ones that exists for a purpose other than simply than the increase of revenue. On this list there are both nonprofit and for-profit businesses, and God is using them to bring about change in their local communities and even on a global scale. In fact, I now have a new page on this blog called “Honorable Mention” that is a running list of the companies that I have honored in this blog.
The two businesses I want to highlight today have been ones that I have done some kind of work for in the past…
1. Grace at Home– This company delivers primary care house calls to the homebound and the home-limited. From routine checkups to lab work, x-rays, EKGs and ultrasounds, Patients receive expert care, all from the comfort and safety of their home. You may have seen companies like this, but what makes this one unique is the Godly compassion that is shown regularly to their patients. (Okay….I may be bias about this one because it is actually the company I work for in my day job). Trust me….I would not feature this company on this blog if I truly did not believe in what they stand for.
2. Technology Recyclers– This company recycles electronics for residential and commercial clients all over Indiana. In most cases, they collect these objects for free (exception being the older TV’s that need special disposal). This company is guided by Christian principles and is known for hiring people who may find it difficult to get jobs in other places.
I hope you take some time to look at these websites. God is doing amazing things through these people…..not because they are making money, but they are honoring Him through their work.
A couple of months ago I posted a blog that highlighted two organizations that have caught my attention recently. These organizations exist to make their community better and to fill a visible void within their realm of influence. Today, I would like to highlight two more organizations that have inspired me in some way. Their missions are focused and their work is producing great results.
1. Selah House (Anderson, IN) – Selah House is an organization that offers professional eating disorder treatment for women and teen girls. Amos Taylor, the CEO of Selah House has a passion to see transformation in the lives of the individuals he serves.
2. Tear Down the Walls ministries (Indianapolis, IN)– TDWM is a ministry that serves the homeless in downtown Indianapolis. For 10 years they have loved and served the homeless. They actually pursue the homeless where they are in various alleys, tent villages, and on the open sidewalks of the city. They feed, clothe, and provide help getting medical assistance for those in need. This organization goes to these people instead of waiting for them to come. Their main goal is to lead them out of a life of homelessness.
Take a look at these ministries and add them to your prayer list. Partnering in prayer and service with organizations like these are great ways to live the Great Commission in our cultural context.
From time to time I have the opportunity to meet new people who are involved with some ministries that have caught my attention. It is an honor to know these people and to learn about their passions and why God has directed them in the path they are going. The birth of these ministries always come about, first, because of a passion for people. The leaders are humble, but motivated. The tasks are many, but God keeps resourcing them.
Today, I want to take a break from my normal style of writing, and simply highlight a couple ministries that have caught my attention in recent days. I will do this in my blog from time to time…
1. Fair Haven Foundation– Fair Haven exists to share the love of Jesus Christ with out-of-town patients and families of patients being treated at IU Health University Hospital and IU Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis. Fair Haven provides free, temporary housing and compassionate support to these families, creating a “haven” amidst the storm of serious health issues. I love this organization because of the love, and family oriented care they give to people who are in a situation in which they may feel alone. Visit their website at www.fairhavenfoundation.org.
2. World Renewal International– This organization is first and foremost, a church planting organization. They have a presence in 20 countries around the world in the establishment of orphanages, schools, pastor training programs, traveling evangelism, music ministry, Christian radio, and much more. World Renewal has a great child sponsorship program that focuses on children all over the world, and they send and support missionaries globally. World Renewal is mostly volunteer led and their passion is evident. The website is www.worldrenewal.org.
Take some time and visit these websites to learn more. Pray for these organizations…pray for their growth and that God would use them for His glory.