For the most part, my blog posts are meant to inspire, encourage and provoke thought in those who read it. As we are ending 2013, I want to thank all of you who read/ follow my writings. I hope you and your family see God at work in a special way this coming year. Also, even if this last year was not the most memorable, I encourage you to take time to reflect about how God has provided and protected you.
Today, I want to write something a little different. I want to write something fun and light-hearted. I want to tell you all some things I have thought about for many years, but have never shared publicly.
Many people have the misguided notion that pastors sit around all day in empty, quite rooms reading and getting excited about the newest Greek or Hebrew word they just learned. Sometimes this is true, but like any other person, we have crazy desires that we secretly wish would come true but feel silly about revealing them. I would like to share a very short list of some secret desires I have had in my lifetime.
Here it goes…don’t judge me.
1. I have secretly wanted to sing with an a capella group– I know what you are thinking. “This guy must be a great singer“. Nope. Just something I have always wanted to do. I did, however, enjoy the opportunity of being in an a capella group in college. We were called “Undeniable”. We did a lot of practicing and one gig at a church in Michigan. Perhaps you heard of us and have wondered where this stellar group went…..Well, the world just wasn’t ready for us.
2. I have secretly wanted to learn parkour (free running)– Look it up. It is pretty fantastic. I’m not sure how many people, in their minds, connect me with speed and agility but that’s okay. I may have been built more for liberal arts but it is a desire nonetheless.
3. I have secretly wanted to be a voice actor for a cartoon– I used to love mimicking voices when I was a child and equally loved watching cartoons. When I watch Veggie Tales (yes I do watch Veggie Tales) I think about how fun it would be to record in that way.
4. I have secretly wanted to record a children’s audiobook– This desire has come to the surface within the last several months. It is one I would like to accomplish to honor a friend who I lost recently to cancer. Janis Hires was a great inspiration to me and her personality and loving spirit was contagious. This desire was actually her life dream, and I would like to do it to fulfill her dream.
5. I have secretly wanted to learn more languages– One of these is American Sign Language. I have been inspired and encourage by people in my past who have deaf family members, or who have led deaf ministries. It is a beautiful language. I am also interested in Arabic.
6. I have secretly wanted to own an RV– The freedom of travel while still having the comforts of home is something that is appealing to me.
7. I have secretly wanted to be a superhero– Shut up and keep scrolling…..
Perhaps some of you have similar desires. It is fun to day dream and there is nothing wrong with it. God gave us an imagination and He delights when we use it.